Monday 12 October 2009

intial musings.

erm.

my very own blog. i'll do my best to make it blogalicious. (not sure what that means but i like the sound of it). i'm fairly certain my mom, dad, dana and katherine louise whitman miller will probably be the only ones reading but that's quite alright as this is more for me anyways. reflection and repudiation. rules: i will not be capitalizing (i just can't be bothered) and will be speaking/writing in british colloquialisms (see: the aforementioned "i just can't be bothered").

i've been finding it a bit difficult to assimilate. not that assimilation is required. i can be me. obviously. me with a slight british twang. but, i must say i find certain accents near impossible to decipher. when confronted with a scottish or irish accent or even a heavily northern english one, i almost always nod and smile, sometimes i'll even laugh a bit while saying yes. this is problematic as i have no idea what i've agreed to or smiled at, luckily thus far it hasn't caused me any serious problems. for some reason, i can't understand numerical responses, especially in a busy and loud pub where i always have to respond with "sorry what?" their response back is always "you american?" yes me american. and then i get a highly enunciated "that w-ill b-e three pou-nd fi-f-t-y." sweet.

a few days ago, i had a massive revelation; i now finally feel like an official potential ex-pat. previously, no matter how many times i had visited this country, i would inevitably cringe during normal greeting customs. let me expound on this thought (not sure why i've asked permission as this is my effing blog, maybe i'm turning unbearably polite); basically, instead of saying hello, british people greet you with an utterly offensive "you alright?" as an american, my only response to this up until now has been, "yes, i'm fine, of course i'm fine, why wouldn't i be?" this is my naturally elicited response to the all-prying query of "are you ok, because you look like you arent, you look like hell, you have leaves in your hair, you have - insert insecurity here - ." one would think that i would be able to overcome this quite easily but even though i KNOW they're being surface level polite and quite friendly, but my knee-jerk reaction has always been, shit. i have snot on my face.

a couple days ago, someone enquired about my general state of being and i effortlessly mustered up the overly-confident response, "yeaaa, i'm alright. you?" to which they replied, "yea, mate. had a long day at work though." and then a painless and appropriately informative conversation ensued.

i'm making great strides here in london.

all pontification aside (well, not really), i am enjoying london. i've never found it particularly difficult to adapt to new surroundings. while san diego is my first home, los angeles, utrecht, and now london feel like home as well (minus you lot (people, friends and family), of course). my flat is really nice, my roommates are lovely, and i have taken an inexplicable liking to domestic life. i clean, without being asked, and for no particular reason, everyday. shocking. i know. on the script-writing front i've been running with an idea for which the inspiration was a couple of gravestones in a massively eerie yet beautiful cemetary near my flat. i am currently trying to figure out how to not make it wholly morbid and depressing. this could take a while.

i'm currently in a seedy pub stealing their wireless and drinking a cider (aka alcoholic apple juice, a wonderful treat for those with an aversion to beer) and getting odd toothless looks from a toothless man who frequents this pub and attempts to grin at me on a weekly basis. entertaining for about.. half an hour and i've been here 25 minutes so it's about time to wrap this up.

i need a job.

till' next time.

xxxx

1 comment: